I know of a humble little ledge
That overlooks the wet walkways
Past the pile of bricks and glass beneath my feet
Beyond the streets and the concrete
Beyond mp3s and wifi connections
And into the distant, lampless fields
I sometimes lay on this quiet ledge
If you're a person like me,
Then hearing nothing but the sound of your own breathe
Is a pacifying serenade you can almost slow-dance to
If you are curious like I am
Then you've stared up at the ceiling in your bedroom long enough
That things start to vaporize in the glitches of your optic nerves
If you behave like I do,
Then you have stolen a gaze at the sun,
Ignoring the pain to see a curdling circle
Of boiling rays that vary in shades like a sonogram
If you're a person like me
Then
1. One congrats weirdo
2. Just kidding
3. This ledge was meant for you, because you and me,
we would get along well
On This ledge right here I lay-
The air is cool as I lay flat along the border of
A 30 foot drop
My left knee points towards a Gemini Star
As nighttime queries beg to be quelled
By a sonorous lullaby
So I ask the black sky if he knows any good ones
...And I, take his silence as a no
For I can do nothing,
But hear the voice
Of an old and distant Nana, my Gramma.
Her feeble eyelids await their deadline,
When her soul will wriggle its way out of her nostrils
But for now they are packed with plastic tubes.
I look back and see miles of my materialistic homeland
Where life is less coveted than youth,
And I know,
That many do not deserve to have
What they think matters most
I know God won’t instantly make things fair
But I do ask him again
If he can spare a little comfort
And I hear a voice,
“You are not meant to live in this world,
You are meant to inhabit this universe`
So walk like gravity does not define you,
Like the inertia between your dream-like musings
And free flowing crystalline atoms
Is amassed by the square of your potential to grow
Every single one of you
Has a name transcribed in the highest of heavens into calligraphic star clusters
So live like the stars are spotlights crowded to get a good look at you
Like your tomorrows are
Shaped by the ethereal bonds between your heart, cerebrum and soul
Because they are”
Over this ledge I peer, well comforted
The light on the wall below me illuminates countless names
The marks of self-aware wanderers
Who touch their essences into
A wall of bumps and crevasses
I realized that every cigarette I've ever had
Has merely gotten in the way.
I grab the moon with the space between my fingers,
Admiring this ball of glow once more
This is why people visit this ledge
To be with no one but the cosmos, and the names
As my tribute to this concrete ledge that sustains me
I find something sharp (to write with, of course)
I find a blank space
And I voice my mark in stone
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment